Holy Shit! If you didn’t catch Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy’s speech to a joint session of congress tonight, then go online and watch it on YouTube. The United States congress hasn’t seen this kind of a speech from a wartime commander since Prime Minister Winston Churchill dared his life sneaking from the UK to the United States to confer with Roosevelt, and give a joint session speech to congress while German bombs from the blitz were falling on London. And Zelensky went toe to toe with Winnie.
Zelenskyy gave a master class in diplomacy and foreign relations. He received a heroes welcome when he entered a full House chamber. I was pleased to see that. There was some talk that dipshit sore losers from the GOP Freedom caucus and the MAGA Morons would sit this one out, but the chamber was pretty damn full from my eyes. And by the time the speech was over, I’m betting that some of those GOPtards were wishing that they had skipped it. Zelensky’s progress to the podium was slow, since MOC on both sides of the aisle kept sticking their hands out to shake his, or pat his shoulder. And when he finally ascended the dais, the standing ovation just went on and on.
But when Zelensky finally opened his mouth and spoke, it was magic time. Zelensky was pitch perfect on every note. He began his remarks with deep and sincere thanks to President Biden, and the members of both parties in congress for their fulsome and wholehearted support of Ukraine in the wake of the Russian invasion. And he emotionally thanked the American people for their incredible charitable support of NGO’s devoted to providing support for his people to help to deal with the trauma. But then he made several critical points;
- Zelensky praised and lauded the US government for their material support in weapons. And he made a promise. Ukraine will never ask American troops to set foot on Ukrainian soil to help to defend Ukraine’s freedom We ask only the military support to do so, and the Ukrainian soldiers will defend Ukraine. *standing ovation*
- He drew the stark contrast of the kind of Christmas that the Ukrainian people were looking forward to with the kind of Christmas the American people were looking forward to. And then he said, We do not begrudge the American people for their Christmas. God knows they have fought the battles to ensure their democracy and freedom, and invested in their national security. And today we fight the same battles to ensure our own future joyous Christmases! *massive standing ovation*
- Then Zelensky shot the moon. He made an incredibly prescient historical comparison to Ukraine’s current situation, We are at war in a cruel winter Christmas. But no more cruel than the heroic, surrounded American troops at Bastogne in the bitter winter of 1944,when they refused to let the Germans break through their lines. Our lines will not fail either *thunderous standing ovation*
- He repeatedly called out Putin as a war criminal. The Russian military cannot beat us on the battlefield, and so they withdraw and try to use winter as a weapon against the Ukrainian civilian population. They bomb out natural gas and electric facilities, trying to freeze the Ukrainian people into submission. He highlighted the numerous Russian war atrocities, villages and towns raised to the ground, mass graves, whole square miles rendered uninhabitable.
- In dealing with the U.S. military military and humanitarian aid, Zelensky put forth a powerful argument. He said Your aid to Ukraine is not charity, instead it is an investment for the security of Europe and the globe. *standing ovation*
- Then Zelensky plucked the heartstrings. In a clearly emotional moment, he presented Vice President Harris and Speaker Pelosi with a Ukrainian battle standard flag, flown over the battlefield during combat in the Bombas region, and signed by Ukrainian soldiers. In a beautiful show of stagecraft, Speaker Pelosi presented President Zelensky with a flag flown over the Capitol that day, in honor of his visit, encased in a beautiful cherry wood casket drape vase. *Congress lost its collective shit*
But here’s what caught me the most. Zelensky is not a master politician, but he is a master media personality, much like Traitor Tot. Many media outlets have started referring to Zelensky as a rock star, but I call pure, unadulterated bullshit. Rock stars revel in the persona, and the glamour and recognition. Not once in a 30 minute speech did I ever hear Zelensky refer to himself! He never talked about what a brilliant battlefield leader he was, or a military genius. His every utterance was about the incredible courage, bravery, and dignity of the Ukrainian people, the Ukrainian military, and the soul and heartbeat of Ukraine. He never mentioned himself once.
And in his speech, he exposed the MAGA GOP for the shallow, corrupt, morally bankrupt fucks that they are. Volodymyr Zelenskyy sent his own wife and children into hiding when the attack started, while he himself remained in Kyiv, and made daily broadcasts aboveground to assure everybody he was personally leading the resistance from the Capitol. He dared Putin to come and get him. Now, compare that with seditionist GOP wussy Josh Hawley, running like a scalded cat across the Senate atrium to get away from the bloodthirsty mob. Or Kreepy Kevin McCarthy whining at Trump over the phone to save his useless ass from the ravenous mob. Anybody want to compare the size of balls? Dignity? Courage? Patriotism?
By now, President Zelensky is already airborne, and en route back to his war torn country to continue leading the resistance. But one thing is certain. Tonight he gave a speech that will be viewed 50 years from now as an example of wartime leadership, and international diplomacy. Godspeed, Mr. President, and God bless.