Robert Herring is the CEO of OAN and maybe this is just his favorite wet dream that he decided to go on Twitter and share. Herring claims to have heard from “somebody very close” to Elon Musk that Musk is Jonesing to buy OAN. Last we knew, Musk was trying to wriggle out of the Twitter deal and not have to pay the One Billion Dollars penalty for doing so.
The CEO of OAN and Elon Musk having a chat today. pic.twitter.com/hkFEhQ92aa
— Ron Filipkowski ?? (@RonFilipkowski) June 9, 2022
Daily Beast is reporting that Musk shot down the rumor, if that’s what it is, within an hour of Herring sharing it.
I’m proud to announce that I’m making an offer to buy OANN/OAN. My offer includes: 3 six packs of Fresca, a bag of my hair, a Wonder Woman card autographed by Eric Trump (who knows why?), the complete series of Wings on VHS & Jesus’s old toothbrush. I’m probably over paying.
— Pastor Rob Fleeceman (@PFleeceman) June 9, 2022
The CEO of OANN tried to make his propaganda station legitimate by claiming Elon Musk wanted to buy it.
In less than 1 hour, Elon responded that he wasn't interested.
This is essentially how they create all their news:
— The Jewish Ginger Resister (@JewishResister) June 9, 2022
Pop quiz, now: What are the possibilities?
- Musk said it as a joke and somebody took him seriously and called Herring?
- OAN is so used to creating fake news that they create it about themselves?
- A prankster called OAN posing as a Musk insider, just to play troll?
- Robert Herring has become so crazed and desperate that he thinks that mentioning Musk’s name in this context will set off a bidding war amongst other billionaires?
- Something weirder still, see my comment below.
Just another normal day in American political culture.