I love it when a plan comes together. On The Last Word tonight on MSNBC, Lawrence O’Donnell featured Traitor Tot’s niece, Mary Trump, a board certified psychologist. And in the conversation, Lawrence asked her about comments from Trump insiders that he lost his last, crumbling vestiges of impulse control when he lost the election. And Mary weighed in…
I think that’s probably correct. His loss was a crushing blow to him, it is something he never expected, and was totally incapable of dealing with. And his only form of defense to kick in was his deniability. And he will continue to deny his loss, because he can’t handle the truth.
BINGO! She nailed it in one. Think of Donald Trump for a moment. I know, it’s stomach churning, but do it. Think of him sitting down there in exile in Mar-A-Lago, unable to find an outlet for his (non) 1/6 press conference. Just sitting there stewing. Now morph Mar-A-Lago into Hitler’s underground bunker in Berlin in the spring of 1945. Because that’s what it is.
If Trump was unhinged from his electoral loss, everything that has happened since that day can only serve to drive him more insane. For instance
- Once Trump lost the election, he unleashed his coterie of third rate ambulance chasers to challenge the results in state and federal courts. They went a combined 0-62, including several severe slap downs from judges that he appointed to the bench. That had to cut deep
- The “Trump” Supreme Court, with three justices he personally put there, have slapped him down over and over again. Quite possibly the worst being the decision to turn his tax records over to the Manhattan District Attorney’s office for their investigation
- Trump adversary Letitia James, the Attorney General of New York state now has a civil investigation into Trump’s running of his businesses. Eric Trump has already been subpoenaed, turned over documents and been deposed, and Trump himself, Don Jr., and Ivanka have also been subpoenaed
- Trump slayer Liz Cheney has already made it clear that the House Select committee is looking closely at the possibility of referring Trump to the Department of Justice for criminal prosecution at the end of their probe
- Thanks to Trump’s own big mouth, and a handy recorder, the Fulton County District Attorney has empaneled a grand jury to investigate Trump for possible criminal behavior in trying to overturn the 2020 Georgia election results
Man! What a load! And let’s be clear, Trump isn’t a normal human being. He doesn’t have a close knit circle of lifelong, trusted friends to console him and give him sage counsel. Trump doesn’t make friends, he usus people. How many times did Chris Christie try to help him, only to be humiliated and rebuffed? What Trump has is an entourage of spineless toadies, that are totally useless to him in his hour of need.
The House GOP today showed themselves in lock step with Trump by blowing off the 1/6 memorial events. And how did Trump repay them? By making them look like idiots. He released a long, rambling message in which he blamed the Democrats for the violence, by interrupting the peaceful transfer of power with rampant voter fraud. As I pointed out in a tweet, if Trump had won, he would have enjoyed a continuation of power for four more years. The stupid shit.
And it’s only going to get worse. With all of the investigations swirling around Trump, I find it inconceivable that he won’t some out facing at least one, if not multiple state and federal indictments. And that’s when Trump’s paranoia will really kick into high gear.
For students of history, you will recall that in his final days in the bunker, Hitler convinced himself out of whole cloth that there was a phantom army out there, made up of reconstituted scattered units, that was advancing on Berlin to save the city and turn the tide. And of course it was all total bullshit.
The point is this. The GOP has already plighted its troth to Trump. But the more the legal walls close in, the more unhinged Trump is going to become. Which means that his hysterical rantings from Mar-A-Lago will become equally unhinged. Does the GOP continue to parrot his lunacy, or does it finally break free and disavow his nonsense? Either way, it doesn’t work out well for them.