Alas, poor Rudy, I knew him well, from America’s Mayor to Donald’s lapdog. Giuliani was anticipating a bad verdict, and the numbers kicked around were between $14 and $48 million. His lawyer characterized this as the “civil equivalent of the death penalty” and said such a judgment would mark “the end of Mr. Giuliani.” I wonder how the same lawyer is characterizing this verdict? Or, will characterize it when he wakes up? If it was me, I’d be passed out cold on the floor, I can tell you that much. The Hill:
During the four-day civil trial, the eight Washington, D.C., residents heard harrowing testimony from the workers, Ruby Freeman and Shaye Moss, who said their lives were turned upside down as they faced a torrent of racist and violent threats following the accusations. Giuliani was found liable in the case months ago, and the jury only convened to decide how much the former federal prosecutor must pay in damages. Before deliberations began, the mother-daughter duo asked for more than $47 million.
“Everyone who spread lies about Ms. Moss and Ms. Freeman should be held accountable,” Michael Gottlieb, a lawyer for the two women, said in closing remarks. The jury deliberated for more than 10 hours before ordering Giuliani to pay the election workers a total of $148.7 million. More detail from Axios:
Backstory: Ruby Freeman and her daughter Shaye Moss, the two Fulton County, Georgia, election workers, sued Giuliani and the right-wing media outlet One America News Network for repeating allegations that they committed ballot fraud.
- OAN was dismissed from the lawsuit last year after settling with Freeman and Moss, while a federal judge in a partial summary judgment in August found Giuliani liable for defaming the election workers.
- The trial was to determine how much in damages Giuliani would owe Freeman and Moss. The pair sought between $15.5 million and $43 million from Giuliani.
- As part of the summary judgment, Giuliani was already required to pay the women $230,000 in legal fees and penalties for not complying with their legal team’s discovery requests.
Zoom in: During the trial, Freeman described the onslaught of threats she and Moss faced in part from the things Giuliani said about them.
- Freeman said they both received numerous racist messages, along with death threats.
- “Pack your s–t. They are coming for you. I’m not far behind. I’m coming for you also. Trash will be taken to the street in bags,” read one of the threats.
- The trial ended without testimony from the ex-Trump lawyer, who had said he intended to speak under oath before backing out.
It’s an amazing judgment. The issue now becomes collecting it. Giuliani no more has $148,000,000 nor the means to get it than he has a unicorn horn in the middle of his forehead. I wonder what the real world disposition of this matter will be?