More January 6 rioters were sentenced today. Just not at the length they deserved as once again the judge revised the recommended federal guideline downward. WAY down in fact. Yes, sentence lengths for those who took part in the insurrectionist riot on January 6, 2021 are getting longer as the prosecutions have worked their way up into the leadership of that awful day’s events. Of course, the true leaders have yet to be put on trial although that’s finally getting to a point where we can see butts in court that should have been there long ago. That however is a different subject.
Tonight what I want to talk about is that as far as I’m concerned, not ONE SINGLE PERSON sentenced has gotten the sentence they deserve. Don’t talk to me about how now some are getting sentences of years in the double digits. When federal sentencing guidelines are being revised downward by as much as half of the recommendation I believe an extraordinary reason needs to be given.
I haven’t seen one yet.
One of these CONVICTS, Dominic Pezzola who got half the the recommended sentence was all goody two-shoes and remorseful, until AFTER sentence was imposed. As NPR reports:
In his plea for leniency to the court, Pezzola said he had given up politics, yet as he was being escorted out of the courtroom he shouted, “Trump won!” repeating the baseless claim of election fraud that led rioters to storm the Capitol on Jan. 6.
This isn’t the first time such a thing has happened. I don’t know if it’s legal, but if I was a judge and had a brand new CONVCT pull that shiite I’d tell the Bailiff to turn em right around and back to the defense table. And though as judge I wouldn’t be able to do so like the jarhead grunt I once was I’d tell them “Ok, so you want to play games with me and this court and show attitude? I gave you a break and you basically flipped me a double-bird. So now you can have the WHOLE federal guidelines recommended sentence. Use all those extra years to give yourself the needed attitude adjustment that you only pretended to have a few minutes ago!”
Look, by design from straight out of the WH the arrest and prosecution of most of the rioters was boned from the start. Still, many hundreds who entered the Capitol as well as some who didn’t but did some awfully bad stuff to help breach the barriers and the buildings did get identified and charged. As well as some who stayed back some. Not enough but better than nothing. However, if it was up to me here’s how sentencing would go:
- For anyone who crossed the barriers and therefore trespassed onto the Capitol grounds but only yelled and waved their goddamned Trump and Confederate RAG flags – 6 months in jail.
- For anyone who committed any act of tearing down a barrier, a minimum of 1 year in prison.
- For anyone who committed ANY act of physical assault on LE, be it taking say someone riot shield (something the aforementioned Pezzola did) or so much as shoved LE a minimum of two years in prison and when I say minimum I mean minimum. Depending on the level of violence as much as ten years or more would be warranted.
- For anyone who actually went inside the Capitol, even if all they did was walk around 1-2 years in prison and they’d have some serious work to to convincing me it should be closer to 1 year instead of 2.
- For anyone who entered the Capitol and engaged in vandalism but did not commit violence against others or threaten to do so a minimum of three years, up to 10 years depending on the severity of the damage/threats.
- For anyone who made verbal threats of violence but failed to actually carry them out a minimum of 5 years in prison.
- For anyone who actually committed a violent act against LE or others inside the Capitol a minimum of 10 years in prison.
- For those who led various groups of attackers a minimum of 20 years in prison.
- And for any organizer whether they were in the Capitol or not a minimum of 30 years in prison.
Here’s what really pisses me off. I was watching MSNBC earlier and Chris Hayes had on a former federal judge and asked her about the downward departures. She explained the reason some of the federal guidelines called for such lengthy sentences to begin with is that the “enhancements” were about terrorism. And unlike a terrorist attack or mass shooting relatively few people died. WFT? WTF?
This wasn’t only an insurrection but WH planned terrorism to scare the Congress and the country into accepting Martial Law and authoritarian rule with Trump as the permanent head of state. To that judge and anyone who says I’m being crazy ask yourself this: What IF all those LE who held the line and bought time to get leadership to some level of safety and for others (not just Congress Critters but their staffs) to hide/barricade themselves and hope they wouldn’t be found? What IF they had gotten their hands on Pence. Or Speaker Pelosi? I’m still haunted by the one guy being recorded by a pal as he wandered the halls calling out “Naaaancy, where are you Nancy?”
Sorry (former) judge, and shame on you Chris Hayes for not pointing out what I just did. This WAS as much an act of terrorism as it was insurrection.
That’s my opinion and I’m sticking to it. You will have some serious work to do to convince me I’m being too harsh. But every goddam one of these people deserves WAY more punishment than they’ve gotten.
Every F**king One.