Call me anything you want, just don’t call me late for dinner Old joke
Lawrence O’Donnell mentioned this on his show tonight, and I just wanted to highlight and write about it, because in the crush of news, and so many things going on, it’s possible for things that are really important to slip under the cracks.
I think we all know by now that Donald Trump is the single most egotistical, narcissistic man ever to befoul the planet. He has one name, and one name only, Mr. Trump. Just look at poor Michael Cohen, he worked for Trump for more than 10 years, Trump fucked him sideways, and even while betraying him in testimony before a House committee, he only referred to him as Mr. Trump. I wouldn’t be surprised if Melania didn’t have to call him Mr. Baby, and if his kids didn’t grow up calling him Sir.
Of course the proudest and most satisfying moments of his life were the four years that he was constantly referred to by all and sundry as Mr. President. But thankfully those dark days are over, and while Trump may dream of a return to previous days of glory in 2024, for the moment he has a new official title to live with. And he can’t like it much.
Defendant Trump. That is what His Lowness is referred to in almost any official documents these days. And at age 75, that is the title he is most likely to carry for the rest of his misbegotten life. Because from here on out, the vast majority of documents with Trump’s name on them are likely to be court filings.
- Trump is a subject in a civil investigation by the New York Attorney General’s office into his organization
- He is a subject in a criminal investigation by the Manhattan District Attorney’s office, again into his organization
- He is the defendant in 3 different civil suits in DC federal court for inciting the January 6th Capitol Riot
- He is a subject of a criminal probe by the Fulton County District Attorney for alleged election fraud
- Trump is the defendant in the Summer Zervos defamation suit, which is in discovery and deposition phase after getting the go ahead by a federal judge
- Trump is the defendant in a civil secual assault case brought by Vanity Fair writer E Jean Carroll, who claims he groped her in an elevator alcove in Trump tower
- Trump is a subject in the J6 committee hearings for possibly inciting the Capitol riot, and may already be under DOJ investigation for same
- Trump may well soon be the subject of a DOJ investigation into his unauthorized removal of 15 boxes of presidential papers to Mar-A-Lago in violation of the Federal Paperwork Act, including some that were clearly marked Confidential, National Security, and some of which reportedly dealt with the Capitol ruit
Jesus, Mary and Joseph! Even the Ma Barker Gang pulled off a string of jobs like this! And the funny thing is that all of these are either in the loate investigative phase, awaiting approval to move to discovery and deposition, or already in the discovery and deposition phase. The actual suits have all already cleared the standing hearing to go on. The NY AG, Manhattan Da, and Fulton County Da’s cases would likely go before grand juries for indictments. The point being, none of these suits are frivolous, like the ones Traitor Tot brings.
As all of these cases are in different stages, it will literally take years to convict The Cheeto Prophet of any or all of them. And then even more years for Trump to fight the verdict(s) in the appeals process. And as Trump is grossly obese, with high cholesterol, and now under more stress than is healthy for any man, he is edging over the line to a coronary.
But the funny thing is the timing. While some suits, like the Zervos and Carroll suits are in discovery and deposition, they could come to trial in the next year or so. But there is no schedule for the NY AG’s case, although deposing the Trump trio would likely send that to final mode, the Manhattan DA’s criminal probe, or the Fulton County DA’s probe. It could be months yet before any of those cases even come before the grand juries, and more than a year after the return of true bills of indictment before they go to trial. How does Trump run for President again in 2024 when he’s spending every day in some court listening to prosecutors tell the world what a miserable shit he is?
Defendant Trump. You know, I kind of like the sound of that title. In fact, there’s only one title I can think of that I’d like more. Convict Trump. And as arrogant of a criminal as Trump has been, I can easily see that being somewhere in the future. Don’t touch that dial.