UPDATE: 8:15 p.m. PDT
A few people here and at Daily Sound and Fury said that Snopes verified the photograph of the crowd at the July 4th gathering as real. I just went and checked out Snopes and that is what they are saying. Here is the link if you want to read the entire article.
Now, a few things to bear in mind.
- The Snopes fact check went up only two hours ago. When this piece was published nine hours ago, the best information available at the time was used.
- TIME Magazine reported “thousands of people braved the rain.” This was backed up by photographs from people, such as Josh Marshall, who were questioning the 3.4 million attendees figure, yesterday. Marshall was physically present. Therefore, it was not unreasonable to question how many people were actually in attendance.
- The web cam at the Washington Monument was shut off for a time yesterday;
- People were leaving in droves when the rain began to come down hard. You saw Trump speaking behind a piece of plexiglas, streaked with rivulets of rain the entire time. Point being, the weather added to the confusion about how many people were where, for how long, and at what time.
- Photoshopping photos and doctoring video is common place with this administration. You recall the debacle with Jim Acosta being accused of karate chopping an intern. That video was doctored. Photos of Trump’s inauguration, which Sean Spicer lied about being, “the largest inauguration crowd in history,” were falsified. Not exculpating myself here, merely saying that if the knee jerk reaction was, “what, again?” we have that reaction because we come by it honestly.
All that being said, I will go on record saying that anything that is published on this website is factual and truthful and if/when we find out to the contrary, we will always print an update or a retraction or both.
My thanks to the readers who mentioned Snopes and got me on the trail. This issue has been hotly debated on social media today, which is why Snopes settled it. Snopes is a reliable fact checking service and if you hit the link above you will see both photos of crowds and photos of empty spaces and it is not in the least bit surprising that this controversy took place, on these facts.
Thanks, friends, and keep coming back to PolitiZoom for breaking stories and up to date news.
I have been wondering out loud for over a week now, when we might hear from the new press secretary, Stephanie Grisham. We now have heard. She is the new Minister (or should it be “Mistress”) of Propaganda in TrumpWorld. Here’s what she tweeted to the world yesterday.
— Stephanie Grisham (@PressSec) July 5, 2019
Incredible is the word for this photograph, yes. I’ll stipulate to that. Of course, we have heard nothing from Grisham about Mike Pence’s recent emergency return to Washington, D.C. and we certainly have not heard any explanation of Trump’s teleprompter snafu yesterday, when he started raving about the Continental Army taking over airports that didn’t exist. Grisham doesn’t seem one for press conferences either, any more than Hucky Boo Boo was, especially towards the end.
If you check out Grisham’s Twitter feed right now, it’s all pure pro-Trump propaganda, how many jobs there are, retweets of Ivanka’s latest gushing praise of her pater — the only indications there that everything is less than grand, are tweets like these.
True reflection of your crowd size. And that is why you shut off the camera on the Washington Monument. pic.twitter.com/rzMFVToNAi
— Ninayasmin (@ninaykill) July 5, 2019
The webcam at the National Mall was abruptly shut down without notice and has been removed from the https://t.co/htcTPrpZCO site. Presumably to stop viewers from seeing the lack of attendees at the #TrumpParade. We are about to relive Trump’s inauguration all over again. pic.twitter.com/dDzoGLhkPK
— Spin Doctor (@SpinDr) July 4, 2019
Well, Stephanie. Once again, you have been taken for a merry ride! The photo you have tweeted is fake/photoshopped. The crowd scene is from 2008. And how could you be proud when POTUS garbled his facts? Doesn’t that give you a twinge?
— JudyChace (@70_Speaks) July 5, 2019
It’s evident that to work in “communications” at the White House, you need to be completely bereft of all journalistic standards, not to mention human decency. How do these people live with themselves? Being a liar and propagator of fraud is okay, as long as you get a paycheck for it? This is a White House where truth is not only not valued, it is assiduously avoided. The media are not “the enemy of the people.” Truth is the enemy of Donald Trump and that’s where the fight is, between the Trump/Fox propaganda machine, spinning up it’s fable and the rest of us, living in reality. This is just one more exhibit in the big fraud being perpetrated on the American people for two and a half years now.